Every artist hits a wall sometimes. During these times, I like to read artist biographies and note down all the inspirational quotes as I come across them.
So I hope these artist quotes will also inspire you as they have inspired me.
Famous Quotes for Artists
You’re sure to hit moments when a blank canvas stares back at you. Remember, Pablo Picasso said, ‘Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working.’
His words are a kick start to pick up a brush and adjust your mindset. Key to pushing through creative blocks is embracing the grind, as Picasso highlighted.
Vincent van Gogh
Vincent van Gogh’s words are a beacon for struggling artists. He believed, ‘If you hear a voice within you say ‘you cannot paint,’ then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced.'”
Positive reinforcement is vital when doubt creeps in. Take it from van Gogh and prove that voice wrong through action.
Leonardo da Vinci
Leonardo da Vinci, a master artist, said, ‘Painting is poetry that is seen rather than felt, and poetry is painting that is felt rather than seen.’ Your art conveys your inner poetry.
More Short Quotes on Art and Creativity
(All photographs used under Fair Use)
- “You don’t take a photograph, you make it.”
- “Artists are just children who refuse to put down their crayons.”
Alfred de Vigny
- “Art ought never to be considered except in its relations with its ideal beauty.”
- “All artists are willing to suffer for their work. But why are so few prepared to learn to draw?”
Charles Horton Cooley
- “An artist cannot fail; it is a success to be one.”
- “Every canvas is a journey all its own.”
- “Art is not what you see, but what you make others see.”
- “I have always considered art as the ideal prolongation of my senses.”
Fred R. Barnard
- “A picture is worth a thousand words.”
- “I never paint dreams or nightmares. I paint my own reality.”
George Bernard Shaw
- “Without art, the crudeness of reality would make the world unbearable.”
- “Whether you succeed or not is irrelevant, there is no such thing. Making your unknown known is the important thing.”
- “Art is a line around your thoughts.”
- “Whoever wants to know something about me, they should look attentively at my pictures and there seek to recognise what I am and what I want.”
- “Every canvas is a journey all its own.”
- “Creativity takes courage.”
- “The modern artist is working and expressing an inner world – in other words – expressing the energy, the motion, and other inner forces.”
- “An artist is not paid for his labor but for his vision.”
- “Art should be something that liberates your soul, provokes the imagination and encourages people to go further.”
Laurence J. Peter
- “Originality is the fine art of remembering what you hear but forgetting where you heard it.”
- “Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced.”
Leonardo da Vinci
- “Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art.”
- “Art lives from constraints and dies from freedom.”
- “Art must be an expression of love or it is nothing.”
- “I am independent! I can live alone and I love to work.”
- “A beautiful body perishes, but a work of art dies not.”
- “No great work of art is ever finished.”
- “The world always seems brighter when you’ve just made something that wasn’t there before.”
- “Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.”
- “It’s so fine and yet so terrible to stand in front of a blank canvas.”
- “The purpose of art is to make the invisible visible.”
- “The artist’s world is limitless. It can be found anywhere, far from where he lives or a few feet away. It is always on his doorstep.”
- “Not everyone can become a great artist, but a great artist can come from anywhere.”
Ralph Waldo Emerson
- “Beauty attracts us men; but if, like an arrow, it strikes our heart too forcibly, it wounds us and we lose our life.”
- “Art evokes the mystery without which the world would not exist.”
- “You might as well ask an artist to explain his art, or ask a poet to explain his poem. It defeats the purpose. The meaning is only clear through the search.”
- “The object isn’t to make art, it’s to be in that wonderful state which makes art inevitable.”
- “Have no fear of perfection – you’ll never reach it.”
- “A true artist is not one who is inspired but one who inspires others.”
- “Art enables us to find ourselves and lose ourselves at the same time.”
- “For me, Art is the restoration of order. It may discuss all sorts of terrible things, but there must be satisfaction at the end. A little bit of hunger, but also satisfaction.”
Vincent van Gogh
- “If you hear a voice within you say ‘you cannot paint,’ then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced”.
Why Artists Need Inspiration
Inspiration stands as a key element for sparking creativity within every artist.
When your well of ideas seems to run dry, words of encouragement can flood it with fresh perspectives.
Artists often hit roadblocks that seem insurmountable.
Inspirational quotes offer a positive nudge, helping you see past frustrations and continue creating with renewed vigor.
Benefits of Using Inspiring Quotes
Inspiring quotes fuel your drive to keep pushing forward when you’re stuck.
They are the gentle nudge that reminds you why you pursued art in the first place.
Sometimes a single quote can flip your view on a problem and spark ingenious solutions. Quotes from experienced artists offer a lens through which to see your work anew.
In your journey as an artist, self-doubt often creeps in. Positive affirmations from those who’ve been in your shoes reinforce your belief in your own abilities.
Quotes About the Creative Process
Failure is a stepping stone for all artists; it’s a vital part of growth. Famous artist quotes teach you that each mistake is a lesson that pushes your creativity forward.
Finding Inspiration in Everyday Life
Look around, and you’ll find art in the simplest things. Inspirational quotes for artists remind you to seek the extraordinary in the ordinary, fueling your work with everyday wonders.
Quotes to Strengthen Artistic Confidence
Let these powerful words from the greats remind you that every stroke, every shade, every line you draw is a step closer to expressing your unique vision.
Remember, turn to these quotes when you’re feeling stuck or doubting your talent.
They’re not just sentences but lifelines thrown across time by those who once stood where you stand now.
So keep them close, let them echo in your studio, and let them fuel your journey.
After all, your art isn’t just what you create; it’s the legacy of your perseverance, passion, and the poetry you choose to share with the world.
Keep creating, keep dreaming, and let your art speak the truths of your heart.
Joseph Colella (Joe Colella) is an Editor and Writer at WastedTalentInc. As a frustrated artist with over 40 years experience making art (who moonlights as a certified Business Analyst with over 20 years of experience in tech).
While Joseph holds a Diploma in Information Technology, in true wasted talent fashion he spent years applying for various Art degrees; from the Accademia di Belle Arti (Napoli), to failing to get into the Bachelor of Arts (Fine Arts) at the University of Western Sydney.
While he jokes about his failures at gaining formal art qualifications, as a self-taught artist he has had a fruitful career in business, technology and the arts making Art his full time source of income from the age of 18 until 25.
His goal is to attend the Julian Ashton School of Art at The Rocks Sydney when he retires from full time work. Joseph’s art has been sold to private collectors all over the world from the USA, Europe and Australasia.
He is a trusted source for reliable art advice and tutorials to copyright/fair use advice and is committed to helping his readers make informed decisions about making them a better artist.