The pencil case is a modern-day essential for any artist. Whether you’re a professional artists, at art school or just a casual artist collecting lots of pencils, a pencil case will keep all of your pencils, pens, markers and tools in one tidy place so you can find them whenever inspiration strikes. You can’t afford to be wasting time looking for what you need which is why you need to have the best pencil case that you can afford.
For the best pencil case for artists i’m placing this YOUSHARES pencil case as my number one pick as I actually own one (since replacing the Arteza one) and found I can safely stuff it will all my pencils, pens and markers plus some additional things like erasers, and a small sketchbook.
YOUSHARES is not the first brand you think of when thinking of a quality art supplier but they have outdone the other well known brands. Let me explain why, as I actually own one.
This large pencil case does not disappoint. The YOUSHARES big capacity pencil case IS the best pencil case for artists. At 8.8inch x 12.8 inch (or A4) it has the capacity to hold up to a whopping 300 pencils, markers, erasers and other artist supplies.
I purchase the Gray model shown as it is less loud than the Arteza one I had last year which means less people looking at me weird.
The YOUSHARES pencil case is perfect for artists for many reasons – it has multiple slots that allow you to keep pens, pencils and markers separated.
- I can store all my coloring pencils, my Posca markers (from mediums to small) and my Sakura Pigma pens, kneadable erasers and even a small watercolor set with brushes and a mini sketch book.
- There are also two front pockets that provide additional storage for your supplies and accessories.
- The durable polyester fabric is resistant to everyday wear and features a stylish and contemporary design that’s bound to turn heads.
- It’s a great size! 8.8inch x 12.8 inch or A4. Not too big but big enough to take what you need.
- Plenty of storage – holds up to 300 drawing tools from pencils to pens to Posca and Sharpie markers
- Multiple compartments (1 with a zipper) to easily organize your tools
- Can store most size pencils (graphite, watercolor, coloring), pens and markers plus smaller brushes
- There is space between the pencil dividers to store papers and other drawing materials
- Durable oxford canvas
- Stylish design with neutral colors
- Handle for easy carrying
- Seriously this is THE best pencil case for artists by a mile!
- It doesn’t have individual slots but after researching for the best pencil case for artists, none do for some reason. This is something I would write to manufacturers about.
- Large Capacity - [Pencils Not Included] The Big Pencil Case have 4 layers, it can organized 304 pcs colored pencils/204 pcs gel pens or other gadgets.
- Portability - Size: 12.81 in x 4.33 in x 8.87 in /32.5 x 11 x 22.5 cm, Light weight pencil organizer case with hand strap is convenient to carry anywhere. The Two pocket(One is zippered pocket）outside can keep notes, cards and your cell phone.
- Quality Material - The color pencil case made of durable oxford canvas and zippers so that it can be used for a long time.
- Multi Function - The multifunction pencil case is used widely for painter, writers, artists, professional for storing various tool like prismacolor, crayola, colored pencil, watercolor pencil, gel pen, eraser.
- Perfect Gift - It’s an awesome gift for adults or artist, Man Women Adult, even yourself. They will appreciate this lovely gift of yours! Note：It is suitable for age 13 and up.
Still not convinced that the YOUSHARES pencil case is THE best pencil case for artists?
Well I have provided 8 more alternatives based on my previous ownership and also based on top reviews and feedback from other artists and art students that I know.
I have considered pencil cases of different sizes, designs, and materials to provide you with a range of options. I have also included a Buyer’s Guide and handy FAQ section to help you decide on the best one for you.
The Next Best Pencil Cases for Artists
For the next best pencil case for artists i’m placing this loud Arteza pencil case as my number 2 pick as I actually used own one before I upgraded this year and it is not based on its looks but rather its usefulness and its ability to store everything you need in an easy to use format and it can quickly be zipped up and thrown into a backpack. Your valuable art supplies will be well protected. I have some information on it below.
Arteza is a quality art supplier, and this large pencil case does not disappoint. Each case has 64 elastic slots that can hold up to 205 pencils, markers, erasers and other artist supplies.
Multiple compartments means you can easily keep your tool separated, and the front pocket also provides additional storage for your supplies and accessories. The durable polyester fabric is resistant to everyday wear and features a stylish and contemporary design that’s bound to turn heads.
We also really like the fact that this case has a handle design so it can be easily carried, or simply slip it in your bag instead. Arteza also promises to send you a replacement case if you encounter any issues.
- Plenty of storage – holds up to 205 pencils!
- Multiple compartments to easily organize your tools
- Durable polyester fabric
- Stylish design
- Handle for easy carrying
- The patterns/design colors can be really loud
- Large Pencil Case With Flexible Slots: Each case has 64 elastic slots that can hold up to 205 pencils and also works for storing pens, markers, erasers and other artist supplies.
If you want as much storage as possible, you’ll love this EASTHILL ‘big capacity’ pencil case, which can store up to 50 pens or 90 pencils. It also has mesh pockets to store your eraser, sharpener and other tools.
You can easily increase or compress the pencil case’s capacity by folding or unfolding it, and the elasticated loops ensure pens stay in place and don’t fall out.
This is the best pencil case if you travel a lot and need a compact case that offers plenty of room and versatility. The separate compartments are useful for organizing your tools and there’s even room to store charging cables and USB sticks should you need them. The canvas material is durable and the color schemes are modern and contemporary.
- Expandable/collapsible design
- Stores 50 pens or 90 pencils
- Mesh pockets and loops for extra storage
- Perfect for traveling with art/drawing supplies
- Zippers aren’t great quality
- [Large capacity] Upgraded size 8.66 x 4.13 x 2.56 inches with large capacity storage, can store up to up to 50 pens or 90 pencils, and can store small stationery in the mesh bag, such as Rubber, Sticker, etc. In the middle of the small mezzanine, can put a few shorter pens that are often used.
- [deformable] 1. Easy to carry around after folding, easy to store 2. Expand to get more pens.
- [Fabric material] The unique design with high quality canvas, durable and superior. Yellow in color closer to orange.
- [Original Design] After more than ten years of design and improvement, we hope that you like our company's original products.
- [As a Gift] It can also be given out as a gift for friends; and parents could give it to children as a birthday gift or Christmas gift.(Case only, pencils are not included)
If you’re looking for an artist’s pencil case, look no further than this canvas wrap pencil holder from Derwent. Derwent has been making quality art supplies since 1832.
This stylish, lightweight, and well-made tan canvas roll is secured with dark brown faux leather ties and has individual compartments to protect and hold up to 30 of your favorite drawing pencils and an eraser.
The roll-up style of this pencil case makes it perfect for fitting into your portfolio or bag, and when unrolled, you’re able to get a good look at all of your art supplies so you can easily find what you’re looking for.
- Holds up to 30 pencils
- The roll-up style means you can easily fit it into your bag
- Easily access your pencils when the case is unrolled
- Made from lightweight and durable canvas
- The lack of compartments may be an issue for some people
- Stylish, lightweight, well-made Derwent tan canvas roll is secured with dark brown faux leather ties; pencil case / pouch has individual compartments to protect and hold up to 30 of your favorite drawing pencils and an eraser
- Small enough to fit into a backpack, portfolio or purse; 17.75"L when open x 7.5"H; pencils and accessories not included
- The wrap / pencil holder unrolls flat for easy access to the contents and when you are ready to move on, you just roll it up again; it is quite simply a must-have when you're out and about
If you’re somebody who seems to have endless art supplies, you’ll love the space afforded by this Youngcol pencil case. It has a 5 layer design with 100 large slots, allowing you to easily display and organize your pens.
Each large slot can hold up to 3 pencils or 2 gel pens, meaning it can carry up to 300 colored pencils or 200 gel pens! It also has a zipper pocket on the back for extra storage.
This case is perfect for transporting all of your supplies and has a detachable shoulder strap which makes the case easy to carry around for travel or outdoor work.
It’s also made from a durable and hard-wearing nylon fabric that is waterproof and can be easily wiped clean. It comes in a range of colorful or plain designs to suit your individual style!
- Huge capacity – store up to 300 pencils
- Zipper pocket for additional storage
- Detachable strap
- Waterproof fabric
- This is a pretty large case, so it’s not ideal if you want a more compact design that will fit inside a backpack.
- Large Capacity - Top quality Pencil Case that has a 5 layer design with 100 large slots, having everything visible and organized. Each large slot can hold up to 3 pencils or 2 gel pens. That means you can organize and carry 300 colored pencils or 200 gel pens. It also has a zipper pocket on the back for extra storage.
- Elegant Design: It has a handle strap design which makes it very easy and convenient to carry anywhere you go. The elastic slots band makes it easy to fit and remove your pencil and you can easily see & organize the different colors of your watercolor pencils.
- Waterproof Material: The pencil case made of durable and wearable nylon fabric, and the external water-resistant coating easily wipes the water stains without leaving any marks.
- Multi-purpose: Ideal case for art, office, makeup supplies. It can hold various tool like / Crayola / Marco Raffine colored pencil, watercolor pencil, gel pen, eraser or cosmetic brush in pencil case.
- Perfect Gift- It’s an awesome gift for Writers, Artist or adult for their birthday, Christmas present or office supplies. I'm sure they will appreciate this lovely gift of yours! It will be your perfect travel companion for art anytime and anywhere. Kindly note that pencils not included!
This pencil case is available for a great price and is perfect for school, college, or work. It has a large capacity in a surprisingly compact design and is able to store between 30-50 pens and supplies including a calculator and ruler, and extra-long 7.5-inch dual brush pens.
The simple design means you can easily access your pens, while the three pockets on the inside of the case make it easy to store and organize smaller items.
The extra handle on the side of the case means you can easily carry it or retrieve it from your bag, and the sturdy canvas material is resistant against daily wear and tear. It also comes in a range of contemporary colors that will instantly freshen up your desk space.
- Affordable price
- Roomy yet compact design
- Three internal pockets
- Carrying handle/loop
- A few people commented on the size and wished that the case was larger.
- Large Capacity: The pencil case has the ability to store and organize up to 30-50 pens or pencils and other gadgets and features details. Because of its unique shape, it can hold a calculator and rulers, extra-longer 7.5inches dual brush pens.
- Practical Design: Simple main compartment design provides clear visibility, you can easily see your supplies at a glance. Three pockets inside made the pen case could organize some small items.
- Easy to Carry: An extra handle on the side makes the pencil bag easy to carry. It fits easily into any bag, and is easy to take out.
- Sturdy Material: The pencil pouch is made of a sturdy canvas material that keeps it from becoming damaged, even when toted around on a daily basis. Besides, it comes with a high-quality, durable zipper that can withstand plenty of use.
- Multi-Function: Not only a pen pouch, but it also could be used as a makeup bag, medicine bag or craft bag, etc. Multifunctional as it is, it could be a gift for classmates, friends, and children. It is a terrific option for anybody who needs to organize pens, pencils, makeup brush, or other items they need to keep organized and stored away.
This pencil case comes in several cute designs to suit a range of personalities. It has a large capacity, offering multi-layer compartments and 64 slots that can store up to 202 colored pencils or 136 gel pen markers. The elastic slots are flexible and easily stretch to accommodate different-sized markers and pencils.
This versatile pencil case is made from strong polyester Oxford fabric for maximum durability and has a high-quality zipper closure that opens and closes smoothly.
The ‘book’ style design of this case allows you to easily find what you are looking for and remove pencils with ease while you work. There’s also a handy carrying handle so you can easily transport your art supplies from A to B.
- Range of great designs and patterns to choose from
- Store up to 202 colored pencils
- Flexible, elastic slots
- Strong polyester Oxford fabric
- Some users claim that the case is hard to close when it’s full of pencils.
- LARGE PENCIL ORGANIZER - Top quality Pencil Case that has a multi-layer compartments and large capacity that can store up to 202 colored pencils or 136 gel pen markers. The cover is made of the best polyester Oxford fabric on the market that will never rip apart, wear out or let you down.
- ELEGANT DESIGN - Our colored pencil case storage bag has 64 slots that can hold up to 202 colored pencils or 136 gel pens without any problem. The elastic slots band makes it easy to fit and remove your pencil and you can easily see & organize the different colors of your watercolor pencils.
- VERSATILE - It is used widely for painter, makeup artist, writers & professional for storing various tool like Prismacolor / Crayola / Marco Raffine colored pencil, watercolor pencil, gel pen, marker, eraser, or cosmetic brush & could also apply to ordinary pencils in offices & art galleries
- PERFECT GIFT - It’s an awesome gift for young or adult for their birthday, Christmas present or back to art supplies. I'm sure they will appreciate this lovely gift of yours!
- Note: the case is without pencils or marker pens shown in the picture, hope you can understand.
This pencil case isn’t the most spacious, but the quality leather design and aesthetic appeal make it perfect for any artist. This is perfect for holding your essential drawing pencils or pens, and the durable buffalo leather holds up well against daily wear and tear.
This genuine leather case is soft to the touch yet durable and hardwearing, so it’ll last far longer than canvas alternatives. It has a vintage, artisanal appeal and features quality craftsmanship.
Measuring 8 x 4 inches, it’s perfect for slipping in your bag and carrying around your art supplies day to day, and the 2 compartments allow you to easily categorize your items. It also features sturdy YKK zippers that open smoothly and close securely.
- Made from durable, genuine buffalo leather
- YKK zippers open smoothly and close securely
- Distressed, vintage style
- Flat design which can be easily slipped in your bag
- It’s not spacious enough for all of your art supplies and stationery
- ★ HAVE YOUR WRITING UTENSILS READY WHEN INSPIRATION STRIKES: This simple yet stylish pencil case is a must for artists, writers and office workers who are serious about their stationary. Helps you to stay organized and support your passion for handwriting
- ★ EXUDE STYLE WHEREVER YOU GO: Unlike most other pencil pouches and bags, ours is made from genuine buffalo leather. The vintage design and artisanal craftsmanship oozes quality. Luxuriously soft to touch yet hard wearing with a distressed finish will get better with use
- ★ STORES EVERYTHING YOU NEED FOR WORK: The 2 compartments have ample space for your pens, markers and pencils, while the flat design slips easily into a laptop bag. The side zipper pocket is best for small items like paper clips
- ★ NEVER LOSE YOUR FAVORITE PEN AGAIN: The sturdy YKK zippers open smoothly and close securely to ensure your must have stationery items are protected and secure. Nothing can roll out so you don’t have to worry about any stationary spillages as you travel to work
- ★ NO MORE DIGGING AROUND IN YOUR PURSE: The perfect antidote for those loose pens and pencils that are forever floating around in your bag! Organizer includes a unique leather keyring loop inside to keep keys or a USB stick safe and easy to find. THIS ITEM IS NOT INTENDED FOR USE BY CHILDREN 12 AND UNDER.
This large-capacity pencil case can hold up to 50 pencils and has multiple compartments so that you can easily organize your items.
The multiple small pockets are great for holding erasers, sharpeners, business cards, and much, much more, and they’re made of strong mesh to provide maximum durability.
The main compartment opens widely and easily, so you can quickly peep inside and find the color you’re looking for, and the elastic loops are useful for holding additional pens and pencils.
This case is made of high-quality waterproof canvas which can withstand dust, scratches, and abrasions, and it’s also easily washable.
- 8.7 x 3.1x 3.9 inches dimensions – fits up to 50 pencils
- Multiple compartments to easily organize your items
- Waterproof canvas that’s highly resistant to dust and stains
- Mesh pockets and pen loops
- Zippers are of poor quality
- 【Large Storage】With 8.7 x 3.1x 3.9 inches dimension, this pencil case can hold pretty much everything a student needs. Large storage capacity allowing up to 50 slim pencils and other small items. Rectangular design that can hold 8-inches extra-long pencils.
- 【Unique Designs】 There is a special three compartments design for this pencil pouch to separate and organize your different items. Multiple small slip pockets can hold business cards, small cards and sticky notes.The main compartment could be open widely and easily, allowing you to quickly see everything inside and find precisely what you're looking for.
- 【Durable Material】Made of high quality waterproof canvas against dust, scratches, and abrasions durable to use; washable and wear resistant,also made with quality zippers, very durable and smooth.
- 【Multifunctional】: This pen bag is a multifunctional bag with different compartments it can be used as a travel case, makeup bag, tool pouch, cellphone pouch and more to fits all your basic daily needs.Suitable for both office,school,home and travel use.
- 【Perfect Gift】It's a nice gift for boys and girls, youngs and adults, writers and artists for graduation, birthday present, or back to school or travel supplies. Case only, pencils not included.
Best Pencil Cases for School
There are a lot of factors to consider when purchasing a pencil case for school. Here are some of the best pencil cases for school, based on durability, style, and price.
1. The cheapest and best pencil case for school is the classic Ziploc bag. It’s durable, cheap, and easy to find. Plus, you can store a lot of pens and pencils in it. But if you don’t want weird looks from your classmates then you should look for something a little more suitable.
2. If you want something a little more stylish, try a canvas pencil case. These are usually more expensive than Ziploc bags, but they’re also more fashionable. The cool thing about a canvas pencil case is that you can whip out your Posca paint pens and customize the pencil case to your own style.
3. For the ultimate in durability, go for a metal pencil case. These can be pricey, but they’ll last forever. The only problem is most of them are not really large, they are hard to organize anything. They tend to just be a tin box.
4. If you’re looking for a best middle ground between style and durability, try a Ethylene Vinyl Acetate (EVA) and fabric pencil case. These are usually more expensive than canvas cases, but they’re also more stylish. I have used one of these for years to store my handheld consoles like the Sony PSP (yes I like retro gaming) – they are rock solid, look great and will last a long time.
What do you need to store in a pencil case for school?
Pens, pencils, erasers, and other small stationery items are the best things to store in a pencil case for school. This way, you can easily grab whatever you need without having to search through a backpack full of stuff. Plus, it keeps everything organized and in one place.
My pick for one of the best pencil cases for school is this travel case/pencil case. It has space for a phone and a Texas Instruments or Casio calculator is:
At 9.05 x 5.11 x 2.36 inches in dimension it can hold most of the stuff you will need for school, including a mobile phone and also a large sized calculator.
- Suitable for：Designed for TI-Nspire CX CAS Graphing calculator. It is also fits for Texas Instruments Ti-84 Plus CE/ for TI-Nspire CX/ for TI-Nspire CX II CAS Color/ for Ti-83/ for Ti-84 graphing calculator. External dimensions:9.05*5.11*2.36 inches.(Case Only)
- Large capacity: One dividual room for Texas Instruments calculator,and 2 mesh pokecks for storing cell-phone,charging lines,rulers and any other stationery.An elastic band is placed on the middle dividers to store at least 6 pens.
- 100% protection: Made of hard EVA material,with good water resistant and shockproof, protecting your scientific calculator from scratches or dirtiness.
- Unique design: Smooth 360-degree two-way zipper for easy opening and closing. The inner base and compartment with anti-shock bubble provide a double protection. It is not only a calculator case, but also can be used as a stationery bag.
- Convenient to carry:Durable hand strap make it easy to carry out. Great gifts for your children, students or any other ower for Texas Instruments graphing calculator.If you are not satisfied with the products you received, please feel free to consult us.
The best pencil cases for school should always have enough space for a calculator. Some calculators are large so you might need a bigger pencil case, but others are smaller and will fit into a standard-sized case.
No matter what kind of pencil case you choose, make sure it has enough room for all of your supplies. And don’t forget to include a calculator!
Best Pencil Case – Buyer’s Guide
A pencil case is a pencil case, right? Wrong! The best pencil case will provide you with many more features you didn’t realise you needed.
Pencil cases come in a myriad of different designs, and the layout is really important. For example, portfolio-style cases allow you to display your pens as well as organize them, and these usually come with elasticated slots which hold 1-3 pens in each.
These are ideal because you can easily view all of your colors and have easy access to your tools. However, it means packing away is a little more time-consuming.
Other pencil cases may have different pouches and mesh compartments to hold additional tools like your eraser or sharpener.
You should also consider the material the pencil case is crafted from.
Canvas is a common material for pencil cases. It’s generally pretty durable and is cheap to purchase, though it stains easily and isn’t waterproof, plus it can’t be easily wiped clean.
Leather is highly durable and the most hard-wearing. However, most leather cases tend to be smaller, and, while this is ideal for everyday use, you won’t be able to store many tools inside. Leather ages well over time and has a naturally distressed look which makes it popular among artists.
You may also see some cases made from nylon, which is highly durable, and if it’s coated with a waterproof material, even better, as this can be easily wiped clean and will keep your items protected. The best pencil case is made from the material that is suitable for your needs and this may not actually be the most expensive materials but the most durable or the most waterproof.
Durability is a big one, especially if you’ll be using your pencil case a lot. Pay attention to the material the case is made from, as cheap canvas cases are the most prone to poor stitching and can easily come undone at the seams.
Another thing to pay attention to is the zippers. It’s hard to find quality zippers these days and many cheap manufacturers cut corners in order to offer the product at a low price.
If you go for a higher-quality pencil case from a trusted supplier like Derwent or Arteza, you can expect the zippers to be of better quality. Or, if you want to avoid zippers altogether, you could opt for a roll-up style case instead.
Size and portability
Finding a good pencil case is all about how the design makes use of space. For example, a bigger pencil case might offer a greater capacity, but some smaller cases can make better use of space through expandable designs or multiple compartments or layers.
You also want to consider whether you’ll just be using the case for home storage, or whether you’ll be traveling with it or taking it to and from college, work, or school.
If you do opt for a bigger case, either check that it will fit inside your bag, or, alternatively, check that it has a removable strap or a handle that can be used to easily carry the case.
How much to spend on a pencil case for artists
You can spend anywhere between five bucks to fifty bucks on a pencil case, as this will depend on the size of the case, its quality, and the brand that made it.
If you’re looking for an everyday case for just a couple of pens and pencils, there’s no need to spend too much. The prices start to increase when you’re looking at cases designed for art supplies, as these are usually made to higher quality and have a much bigger capacity to store hundreds of pens or pencils.
If you regularly use your supplies then it’s worth investing a little bit more in a quality pencil case, as it’s likely you’ll have it for years to come.
With this in mind, I’d suggest spending $15 or less if you’re looking for an average pencil case for office or college supplies, and spending $15-$50 if you’re looking for one to hold art supplies.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the main qualities of a good pencil case?
When shopping for the best pencil case for you, look out for one that has a decent capacity that will store all of your tools, whether you’re looking for an everyday pencil case or a design that will hold all of your art supplies.
Look out for durable material and quality zippers, as well as multiple compartments that can store smaller items such as erasers and sharpeners.
How do I choose the best pencil case for me?
Everybody has different needs when it comes to pencil cases. The main determining factor will be storage size and capacity – think about what you intend to keep in the case and how many pens/pencils you need the case to hold.
Think about what type of case you want: is it a folding portfolio one that you can neatly organize your items in, a roll-up one that allows you to easily choose your colors, or a traditional one where you can chuck your pens in and throw it in your bag?
Consider how often you’ll be using the case and the durability of the material, as well as how portable it is. If you’ll be carrying the case in your bag, check the dimensions to ensure that it will fit.
What do you carry in a pencil case?
Different people will carry different items in their pencil case. For example, those working in an office may include items like pens and pencils, as well as other essentials such as sticky notes, a stapler, and highlighters.
People also use their pencil case to carry charging cables and USB drives in there, especially college students who use these items regularly.
On the other hand, if you’re an artist or art student, you can use your case to store your drawing pencils or colored pencils, your eraser, sharpener, fine liners… and basically anything else you can fit in there.
Pencil cases are a lot more diverse these days and you’ll find them in a range of styles and designs to accommodate items as well as just traditional pens and pencils.
Joseph Colella is a frustrated artist with over 40 years experience making art (who moonlights as a certified Business Analyst with over 20 years of experience in tech). While he holds a Diploma in Information Technology, in true wasted talent style he spent years trying to get into various Art degrees from the Accademia di Belle Arti (Napoli), and failed to get into the Bachelor of Arts (Fine Arts) at the University of Western Sydney. His goal is to attend the Julian Ashton School of Art at The Rocks Sydney when he retires from full time work. In his spare time, he writes for the this blog, WastedTalentInc, where he shares practical advice on art, making art, and art materials. Joseph’s art has been sold to collectors all over the world from the USA, Europe and Australasia. He is a trusted source for reliable art and copyright/fair use advice and is committed to helping his readers make informed decisions about making them a better artist.
He also loves all things watches (ok it’s an addiction) so show him some love and visit his other website https://expertdivewatch.com