One of the trickiest things about acrylic paint is finding a suitable surface to paint it on. Not everyone can afford numerous canvases or expensive boards to create their artworks.
Paper seems the natural choice, however, you can’t just use any old sheets of paper. If you used standard printer paper, it would bend and warp when you tried to apply layers of paint to it.
So how can you solve your problem? You’ll need to opt for paper that has been specifically designed with acrylic paints in mind. This paper should be heavyweight enough to withstand multiple layers of paint. It shouldn’t bend when you try to paint on it, so that you can create beautiful works of art.
We’ve researched and reviewed hundreds of paper pads to find the best paper for acrylic paint. No matter what your preferred style of painting is, the paper that we have selected will be ideal for use with acrylic paint.
So let’s take a look at the best paper for acrylic paint below!
Best Papers For Acrylic Paint
The Canson XL series oil and acrylic paper pad will be ideal for your acrylic paints. You don’t have to prep the surface of the paper before you use it. Simply apply your paint! This will be great for those who want a surface that they can use immediately.
Another great feature of this paper pad is that it comes with 24 sheets. So you’ll have plenty of paper for all of your projects.
The paper itself is 290 GSM, so you won’t have to worry about it bending when you apply paint to the surface. The paper is also acid free, so won’t damage your paint over time when it’s dried.
This particular paper is bleed proof, so you won’t have to worry about the paint bleeding through to the other side. It also gives you a textured surface for use with your acrylic paints. This will be helpful for building more texture in your works.
What’s really great about this particular paper pad is that it’s available in 3 different sizes. You can choose between 5.5” x 8.5”, 9” x 12”, or 11” x 14” pads to give you the best surface area for your needs. The paper pad also comes with a fold-over cover to protect your artwork.
- 3 sizes – choose the best size paper pad for your needs
- 290 GSM – thick enough to cope with acrylic paint without bending
- Textured surface – makes it easier to build texture with your artwork
- Buckles – if you use water on the paper, it will likely buckle
- A bleed proof canvas like textured paper
- Ready for oil or acrylic without priming or preparation
- Each pad contains 24 sheets of 136 lb/290 gsm acid free paper
- 9″x12″ pad with fold-over cover
- Available in three convenient sizes
The Bellofy painting paper pad will be the ideal fit for your acrylic paints. The paper is high quality and has been designed by artists, for artists.
You get 25 sheets of paper in a single pad to help you create your finest masterpieces yet. The paper is bleed proof and heavyweight so will be able to cope with acrylic paints.
This particular paper pad is perfect for use by artists of all levels. This makes it the perfect fit for both beginners and experienced artists alike. So you can use this paper pad as an alternative to expensive, space consuming canvases.
What’s really great about this paper pad is that it is incredibly versatile. You can use acrylic paints as well as a variety of other media. This paper can also be used with oil and watercolor paints if you want to use a variety of painting techniques.
This particular paper is also eco-friendly and highly durable. You won’t have to worry about any paint bleeding through, smudging, or fading over time.
Another great feature of this paper pad is that it is 400 GSM. This means it is strong enough to withstand the acrylic paints that you apply to the surface. It won’t buckle or bend once the paint has been applied. The paper also features a rough surface to help you build up more texture with your paints.
- 400 GSM – sturdy enough to support the acrylic paints you use
- Multi purpose – can be used with a variety of different paints
- Versatile – suitable for use with artists of all skill levels
- Practice – best used for practicing techniques or for practice pieces
- Create Hypnotizing Paintings – Created by artists for everyone, Bellofy Painting Paper will provide everything you need and more for your artwork! Heavyweight Acrylic Paper is bleed proof with a rough finish that will satisfy any artistic needs!
- Acrylics, Oil Paints Or Watercolors – With Bellofy’s Paint Paper versatility you may choose any of them when painting or mix it altogether. Cold pressed acrylic paint paper ensures the perfect surface for all your art needs!
- Painting Paper For Kids, Beginners & Artists – Regardless of your artistic level you will enjoy painting with this oil painting paper. Start painting today on your canvas paper!
- Say Bye To Bleed Through – We only use acid-free and pH neutral paper, approved by artists to never bleed, smudge, fade or dim over time. Painting with this Acrylic Painting Paper will last a lifetime!
- Happiness Guarantee – We are sure you will love this Paint paper for kids as much as we do, but just in case you won’t, our Customer Happiness Team will take great care of you. Simply contact us and we will make things right.
This Arteza acrylic pad is the perfect choice if you’re looking for great value for money.
You get 2 high quality paper pads included for the price of one. This means you get double the amount of paper for all of your art projects. There are 32 sheets of acrylic paper included all together, giving you more possibilities for your creativity.
What’s really great about this paper pad is that the paper is 400 GSM. This makes it heavyweight enough to cope with acrylic paints.
It also won’t buckle, and has been designed to prevent this from happening. This particular paper gives you the right texture that you need, as well as the correct absorbance for your favorite paints.
Another handy feature of these paper pads is that the paper itself is super easy to pull out of the pad. There’s no need to stress about accidentally damaging your artwork when you remove the paper from the pad itself. You should be able to easily remove the paper from the pad so that you can display it as you like.
You’ll get better value for money with this acrylic paper pad. Even though you’re having to pay more money upfront, you’re getting twice as much paper as you do with competitive products. This means you won’t have to worry about spending more money to replace the pad once you’ve used all of the first 16 sheets.
- Multi pack – you get 2 high quality paper pads for the same price
- 400 GSM – perfect for use with acrylic paints
- No buckling – this paper has been designed not to buckle when paint is applied
- Gesso – recommended to apply a layer of gesso before you start acrylic painting
- 2 Pack of Acrylic Pads [32 Sheets Total] Composed of sturdy 400 gsm heavyweight paper, our Arteza acrylic painting pad is designed to have the right texture and absorbency for acrylic and other paints. Other mediums that work well are: gouache paint, oil paint, and acrylic paint markers.
- Paper is Easy to Pull Out: You won’t have to worry about accidentally tearing your artwork with our glue-bound binding. You can easily take out your finished artwork for display.
- Zero Buckling – Heavyweight Linen-Textured Paper [400 gsm – 246 lb] Other brands’ acrylic paper is too absorbent and buckling can occur, which is why we created our paper to be just the right texture and absorbency for paint mediums.
- Designed and Created by Artists: Here at Arteza, we are passionate about creating products that inspire. For us, art is an expression of the human experience. That’s why we work to make our art supplies accessible to all people.
- Art Supplies for Everyone: Arteza was built on providing quality painting, drawing & art supplies for all ages and levels. Find tons of arts and crafts accessories, paint sets, drawing supplies, and more for all your general needs as an artist.
The Strathmore 400 series acrylic pad has been designed to give you the best quality paper. This particular paper is 400 GSM, making it suitable for use with acrylic paints. This means the paper won’t buckle when you apply paint to it. Which will be essential if you want to display your artwork.
This heavyweight paper gives you a textured linen surface to work with. This will be great for giving your paint the maximum adherence it needs to the surface.
It will also make it much easier to layer the paint to get the desired effect that you’re after. This linen finish allows the paper to mimic canvas, which means it’s also much easier to blend your paints together.
You’ll get 10 sheets of high quality paper in this single pad. This should give you more than enough paper to create your masterpieces without having to spend more on expensive canvases. This particular pad is 9” x 12”, however, there are additional sizes available.
Another great feature of this paper pad is that it comes with a heavy chipboard backing. This gives you an even surface to use when you paint. So you won’t have to worry about the paper bending while you apply paint to it.
- 400 GSM – suitable for use with acrylic paints
- Linen surface – gives you a textured surface to work with
- Heavy chipboard backing – gives you a sturdier surface to lean on when painting
- Buckles – the paper will buckle if you use water
- Strathmore 400 Acrylic paper – durable, heavyweight paper (246lb, 400 g/M2) is perfect for Acrylic painting
- Textured linen surface assures the maximum adherence and layering of paint
- This item is manufactured in France
The U.S. Art Supply 9” x 12” premium extra heavyweight acrylic painting paper pad will be perfect for any budding artists. This paper pad is more affordable than often pricy canvases.
You also get an impressive 12 sheets in a single pad. This makes it ideal for use with several different projects. You won’t have to spend a small fortune on another canvas once you’ve finished one piece of work.
Another great feature of this particular paper pad is that the paper itself is textured. This will make it easier for your acrylic paints to stick to the surface. It allows you to build up more texture in your work.
The paper is resistant to moisture bleed through, so you won’t have to worry about your paints bleeding through to the other side. The paper is 400 GSM so is perfect for acrylic paints.
What’s really great about this paper is how versatile it is. It has been designed for use with acrylic paints, but can be used for several other media. It is also a great fit for artists of any skill level.
This particular paper pad is spiral bound. This makes it much easier to remove sheets of paper once you’ve finished using them. You can easily tear out the sheets you wish to remove without having to worry about damaging your precious artwork.
- Textured surface – gives your acrylic paints more surface to cling to
- Spiral bound – makes it easier to remove the sheets of paper once you’ve finished with them
- 400 GSM – perfect for use with acrylic paints
- Practice – best used for practice pieces or practicing techniques
- Acid Free, Neutral pH, Spiral Bound Natural White Sheets for Easy Removal
- Extremley Heavyweight and Versatile Paper made for the Acrylic Artist
- Nice Texture and Resistent to Moisture Bleed Through.
- Pack of 2 Pads
Best Paper For Acrylic Paint Buyer’s Guide
Searching for the best paper for acrylic paint can be a challenge. You may be tempted to just use any old sheet of paper that you can get your hands on. However, you will need to make sure that it’s able to withstand acrylic paint.
That’s where we come in! We’ve put together a helpful buyer’s guide to give you all the information you need to choose the best paper for your needs. As long as your chosen paper has the below points covered, you can rest assured that you’ll be able to use your favorite acrylic paints on it.
Take a look at everything you need to know about paper for acrylic paints below! Or skip ahead to the frequently asked questions.
GSM, or grams per square meter, basically refers to the thickness of your paper. When you’re using a medium such as acrylic, you will need to choose a paper that has a thick enough GSM to cope with the paint. If the paper is too thin, this will cause the paper to bend, buckle, and warp once the paint has been applied.
When it comes to choosing the best paper for acrylic paint you will need to opt for a paper that is at least 260 GSM. This should be your absolute minimum, as any thinner than this and the paper won’t be up to snuff.
The thicker the paper, the better. Most paper pads we came across in our search that had been designed for acrylic paints were around the 400 GSM mark.
Number of sheets
Another important factor to consider is how many sheets of paper you need per pad. Because the paper needs to be quite thick so as to withstand the acrylic paints, this means you aren’t likely to get many sheets to a pad.
Think about how many sheets you’re likely to use. Are you looking for a paper pad as an alternative to more expensive canvases? Or something to practice your painting techniques? Depending on what you need the acrylic paper for this may dictate how many sheets you require.
Textured linen surface
You will need to look for paper that comes with a textured linen surface instead of a smooth surface. This is because the textured surface gives your paint more area to cling to. Not only will this improve the adhesion of your preferred acrylic paint, but it will also allow you to build more texture into your piece.
A smoother surface doesn’t give your acrylic paint as much to cling to. This could mean that the paint doesn’t stay where you want it to on the paper. A textured surface gives you more to work with because it mimics the texture of a canvas.
The size of your chosen paper will be another important factor to consider. Do you prefer an A4 sized pad? Or will a smaller A5 be more than enough for the art project you have in mind? The size of your paper will also dictate the cost. The larger the paper pad, the more it will cost you overall.
Type of pad
Another factor to consider when it comes to choosing the best paper for acrylic paints is what type of pad you’re after. Most pads are available in either a glue bound form or spiral bound notebook.
You should be able to easily tear sheets out of a glue bound notebook as and when you need to. You should ensure that you’re able to do this smoothly without tearing your artwork. A spiral bound notebook should also be easy to tear out sheets.
However, if you do want to keep all of your projects in a single notepad, the spiral bound notebook will be the better choice of the two. This is because it will be much easier to turn the pages without damaging part of your artwork.
You should choose the best paper for acrylic paints that you can reasonably afford. While it may seem like you’re getting more value for your money in a notepad that comes with more sheets of paper, does this actually give you a large enough GSM to cope with acrylic paint?
It is also advisable to opt for paper that you can reasonably afford again. This is because you will only have a couple of sheets of paper in a single notepad.
So once you’ve used all of them, and you know this is the right paper for your needs, you will want to ensure that you’re able to afford it again when it comes time to buy more paper.
Frequently Asked Questions
What kind of paper do you use for acrylic paint?
You should use paper that has been specifically designed for use with acrylic paints. The most important thing to consider is choosing a paper that will be thick enough to support the paint.
You should also opt for a more textured surface as this mimics a canvas. It will be able to hold more paint and help you build up more texture in your work.
What is the best surface for acrylic paint?
The best surfaces for use with acrylic paint are firmer and more textured. The firmer the surface is, the less likely it is to warp when the paint is applied.
Most people tend to use things such as canvas, museum board, illustration board, or fiber board because it gives a firmer surface than paper. However, acrylic paper is more affordable if you’re more of a hobbyist creating casual works.
What GSM paper is best for acrylic paint?
You should aim to use a paper that has 250 GSM or larger for acrylic paints. The most important thing to consider is a paper that won’t bend once you’ve applied multiple layers of paint to it.